Saigon Day Trips?

Old November 14th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dean Harris

Default Saigon Day Trips?

Hi,

I'll be in HCMC Nov 22nd-Dec6th and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some nice day trips?

Or even weekend trips? I'll be visiting some local friends and would
like to go someplace they'd enjoy as well.

Thanks

Dean
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:08:31 GMT, Dean Harris
wrote:

Hi,

I'll be in HCMC Nov 22nd-Dec6th and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some nice day trips?

Or even weekend trips? I'll be visiting some local friends and would
like to go someplace they'd enjoy as well.

I think my favourite day trip from Saigon was a visit to Cu-Chi
tunnels. I'd pick that again if I had to choose just one.

Chris
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Reg \Rickshaw\ Ritter

wrote:

Hi,

I'll be in HCMC Nov 22nd-Dec6th and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some nice day trips?

Or even weekend trips? I'll be visiting some local friends and would
like to go someplace they'd enjoy as well.

I think my favourite day trip from Saigon was a visit to Cu-Chi
tunnels. I'd pick that again if I had to choose just one.

I agree, although I'm not sure that "nice" is quite the right adjective.

The tunnels are a "must-see", even if your friends have been there before.

Old November 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
wrote:

Hi,

I'll be in HCMC Nov 22nd-Dec6th and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some nice day trips?

Or even weekend trips? I'll be visiting some local friends and would
like to go someplace they'd enjoy as well.

I think my favourite day trip from Saigon was a visit to Cu-Chi
tunnels. I'd pick that again if I had to choose just one.

Some sources (outdated?) say that only skinny people of 50 kilos or less can
traverse through these tunnels. Perhaps they have widened them place to
place so that westerners with their broad arses can also creep forward in
these tunnels?

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Reg \Rickshaw\ Ritter

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

Some sources (outdated?) say that only skinny people of 50 kilos or less
can traverse through these tunnels. Perhaps they have widened them place
to place so that westerners with their broad arses can also creep forward
in these tunnels?

I'm a westerner with a very broad arse. I weigh more than 80 kilos, and I
got down there, although I did find that movement was pretty difficult.
Thirty metres was long enough for me, and my thighs ached for several days
afterwards.

You can go down and come straight back up if you want to, and even if you
don't go down, it is still a fascinating place to visit. Go now, while
there are still guides with personal experiences to tell.

Old November 15th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Dean Harris

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:14:00 +1100, "Reg \"Rickshaw\" Ritter"
wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
t...

Some sources (outdated?) say that only skinny people of 50 kilos or less
can traverse through these tunnels. Perhaps they have widened them place
to place so that westerners with their broad arses can also creep forward
in these tunnels?

I'm a westerner with a very broad arse. I weigh more than 80 kilos, and I
got down there, although I did find that movement was pretty difficult.
Thirty metres was long enough for me, and my thighs ached for several days
afterwards.

You can go down and come straight back up if you want to, and even if you
don't go down, it is still a fascinating place to visit. Go now, while
there are still guides with personal experiences to tell.

I've been there before. Not really sure how fun it would be for my
vietnamese friends. I got some other suggestions and read a bit of
the LP guide to get some ideas.

Thanks.

Dean

Old November 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

wrote:

Hi,

I'll be in HCMC Nov 22nd-Dec6th and was wondering if anyone could
recommend some nice day trips?

Or even weekend trips? I'll be visiting some local friends and would
like to go someplace they'd enjoy as well.

I think my favourite day trip from Saigon was a visit to Cu-Chi
tunnels. I'd pick that again if I had to choose just one.

Chris

Yea, that's one trip we took and would take again. Like some of the
other posters, I made it through most of the tunnels but decided
against trying the very last stretch. Afterwards, we munched down
Yucca roots. It was kind of funny because my Wife told me we'de be
munching "Yucca Cake" after it was over. Naturally, the Vietnamese
restaurante here has a super excellent "Yucca Cake" desert with coconut
milk, peanuts, etc.

Yucca roots by themselves are just a bit different than Americanized
"Yucca Cake" :-) Nonetheless, we munched them, they were good, and the
trip/tour was great.

I did think it was a bit strange that they played the video of the
"Little American-Killer Girl", knowing that many of their
customers/tourists were, well... Americans. But in the end, that's
what the Cu-Chi tunnels were known for (from what I understood), one of
those places where nobody realized that that everybody was on the side
of the communists.

On another day trip, we cruised to a city called "My Tho" (sp?) along
the Mekong River. From there, we took a boat through parts of the
Mekong and stopped at a neat place where we munched down an "Elephant
Fish". They appear to fry it and serve it to you standing on it's
side. It tasted good. We also munchd down some of the huge fresh
water shrimp (prawns?) and then went to a coconut candy factory that
was really neat. Great stuff, but it doesn't last long (weeks, maybe
months until it expires).

I envy you. Have a great time!

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com