Long Layover in Incheon, Korea

Old July 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate[_2_]

Default Long Layover in Incheon, Korea

The easiest way to get into the city is to take a 'KAL Limousine' (actually
a bus). There are several routes - one of which goes to COEX, where you'll
find food etc aplenty. Cost is 14,000 won each way. The buses take between 1
hour and 90 minutes each way (depending on the route) - and run every 20
minutes.

Bus information is he
http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...aa_ia_limo.htm

I can't remember just what was available in the way of food at Incheon
Airport itself. There is a Hyatt hotel nearby - which again can be reached
by bus. I've stayed there - and the food is not outstanding!!

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. We
have plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if
that is practical). Any recommendations for great local or western food.
We are particularly fond of sushi. Thanks in advance.

rg

Old July 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bob Myers

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
Bob Myers wrote,

You do realize that sushi is Japanese, not Korean, right?
(Which is not to say that you can't get sushi in Korea, but
it's certainly not the first dish that comes to mind when
thinking of "local" food there.)

Actually, I know many Koreans who love sushi. Two years ago my cruise
ship stopped at Busan, and we saw several sushi restaurants, although we
did not partake. Koreans, like Japanese, appreciate quality sushi.

Right - just wanted to point out that it's not really "local"
food, and if it were me, I would want to take the opportunity
to sample something I couldn't get elsewhere.

I am geographically challenged when it comes to R.O.K. Like many
countries, the new international airports are well away from the city.
That is why a lunch-time meal may be impractical outside the Incheon
airport. I was thinking an hour or so to Seoul, two hours for lunch and
an hour back to the airport (10:30 am to 2:30 pm). I don't know if this
can be accompished without a hassle (on a Friday). Thanks.

Yes, it can be done. If it's worth an hour or so either way
on a bus for you to get into Seoul and have lunch, go for
it. Don't know how familiar you are with Seoul, or I'd
suggest some places. Again, if it were me and I only
had 2-3 hours to kill in Seoul, I might choose to spend
it wandering around one of the markets, such as
Dongdaemun or Namdaemun.

Bob M.

Old July 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Jul 7, 2:55*pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:
"Sharkbait" wrote in message

Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. *We
have plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if
that is practical). *Any recommendations for great local or western food.
We are particularly fond of sushi. *Thanks in advance.

You do realize that sushi is Japanese, not Korean, right?
(Which is not to say that you can't get sushi in Korea, but
it's certainly not the first dish that comes to mind when
thinking of "local" food there.)

Incheon International is in the middle of West Nowhere,
R.O.K.. *A good distance out from Seoul, and surrounded
by some really, really lovely mud flats and such. *An 8-hour
layover might be enough to give you a few hours in Seoul
if you're willing to make the trip, though. *Taking the bus
service to/from ICN/Seoul will take roughly an hour,
depending on just where in Seoul you want to go.

Bob M.

Korean style sushi is also very popular.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Bob Myers wrote:

Yes, it can be done. If it's worth an hour or so either way
on a bus for you to get into Seoul and have lunch, go for
it. Don't know how familiar you are with Seoul, or I'd
suggest some places. Again, if it were me and I only
had 2-3 hours to kill in Seoul, I might choose to spend
it wandering around one of the markets, such as
Dongdaemun or Namdaemun.

That's good advice. You can take a non-stop bus from Incheon Airport to
the main train station in Seoul (not the KAL bus). The train station is
walking distance to Namdaemun market and Namsan Park. You can climb to
the top of the hill where the Namsan tower gives you a good view of
Seoul. It's easy to take the bus from the airport, and there are no
intermediate stops, but the bus stop numbers at the airport sometimes
change so I don't want to write them. There are booths inside the
terminal to buy tickets at. You could easily do the whole trip in five
hours, leaving plenty of margin.

You can see a photo of this area at "http://i36.tinypic.com/iqkgll.jpg"

If time is short, take a taxi to Namsan tower, as it's probably at least
a 30 minute walk up the hill.

You can also take subway line 4 from Seoul Station to Namdaemun market.
Take subway line 4, to Hoehyeon Station, but it's an easy walk.

I like going to Costco on the subway to pick up stuff like Soju, and
Korean snack food. I've also gotten some good camping gear there,
including trekking poles and cooksets. They don't take Amex at the
Costco's in Korea. There is a Costco near the Yeungdeungpo Office
station on Subway Line 2 (exit the station at exit #3, make a U turn to
the left at the top of the stairs, then an immediate right turn and walk
3 blocks (it’s on the right, just past the golf driving range on your
left, you’ll pass a hospital and a “Kentucky Chicken” restaurant)). See
"http://i34.tinypic.com/hreofp.jpg".

Be adventuresome! It's easy to get around in Seoul, with the awesome
subway system.

I have taken the subway from Seoul station to Gimpo airport, and then
the bus to Incheon (now there's a train from Gimpo to Incheon). I did
this because it was World Cup Soccer time, and the crowds near my hotel
were such that they closed the road to the hotel. I could take the
subway from the basement of the hotel, changed trains to get to Gimpo,
then took the bus. It was more time consuming that the bus direct to the
train station.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Viscount

You should also try the korean-style pancake (it has seafood/
vegetables/whatever you please in it). it's called pajeon in korean.

another great dish is bulgogi (that's what korean barbecue is in
korean)

enjoy!!
- viscount travel house, inc.

On Jul 7, 7:27 pm, "Sharkbait" wrote:
SMS wrote,

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of Korean beef. How is it considered
served best? Now I need to google dolsot bibimbab.

rg

Old July 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Viscount wrote:
You should also try the korean-style pancake (it has seafood/
vegetables/whatever you please in it). it's called pajeon in korean.

another great dish is bulgogi (that's what korean barbecue is in
korean)

Great advice. The SP* is a very good korean food.

*There was a very good Korean restaurant near us, that also had very low
prices. We went there a lot. We could order by initials. DBBB was dolsot
bi bim bap. SP was seafood pancake. Unfortunately they went out of
business.