Borneo in January

Old November 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Default Borneo in January

We are planning to do a short trip to Borneo in the 2nd half of January.
A few days of beach (snorkeling, chilling) in a nice and simple beach
hut/homestay and 1-2 trips (trekking or biking) would be nice ...

Any recommendations, nice places, things to do?
? Is rainy season a problem at that time in that area?

Are there good connections from Singapore available? How much are they?

Any other places nice to visit for a 2 week trip which are easy to reach
from Singapore (excl. Bali)?

Manfred
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Manfred Aigner says...
We are planning to do a short trip to Borneo in the 2nd half of January.
A few days of beach (snorkeling, chilling) in a nice and simple beach
hut/homestay and 1-2 trips (trekking or biking) would be nice ...

Any recommendations, nice places, things to do?
? Is rainy season a problem at that time in that area?

Are there good connections from Singapore available? How much are they?

Any other places nice to visit for a 2 week trip which are easy to reach
from Singapore (excl. Bali)?

Assuming you mean Malaysian Borneo (the Indonesian section can't be
recommended based on what I heard), your best option are the islands of
the Tunku Abdul Rahman NP off Kota Kinabalu:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malays...h/TuAbdRahman/

Not cheap, but with nice white sand beaches, crystal clear water and
good weather in January. There are other islands off (Malaysian)
Borneo's coast, but they are very expensive and the Tunku Abdul Rahman
NP islands have the advantage of being easily reachable from Kota
Kinabalu.

The rainy season is not an issue in Sabah in January (unless you are
unlucky). I've climbed three times Mt Kinabalu in December-January and
have always found good weather.

There should be direct flights from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu (and if
you fly from nearby Johor Bahru you can use the cheap flights of
AirAsia).

There are many things to see in Sarawak and Sabah, mostly national parks
full of wildlife, caves, mountains, people etc:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sarawak/
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sabah/
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Alfred Molon wrote:
[..]
Assuming you mean Malaysian Borneo (the Indonesian section can't be
recommended based on what I heard)

Well, I'd be interested in going to Kalimantan, but fir a 2 weeks trip I
do not think that I'd see a lot ...

, your best option are the islands of
the Tunku Abdul Rahman NP off Kota Kinabalu:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malays...h/TuAbdRahman/

Not cheap, but with nice white sand beaches, crystal clear water and
good weather in January. There are other islands off (Malaysian)
Borneo's coast, but they are very expensive and the Tunku Abdul Rahman
NP islands have the advantage of being easily reachable from Kota
Kinabalu.

Means that there are resorts on the islands? We do not really like
luxury resorts, simple homestays would be preferred, but for a couple of
days it would be fine .. can you give an estimate how much a
room/bungalow for 2 would be? Any link? (sorry I did not find a link)

The rainy season is not an issue in Sabah in January (unless you are
unlucky). I've climbed three times Mt Kinabalu in December-January and
have always found good weather.

Also a good idea! I'll check the flights from singapore and johor baru.

Sound good. How about Sarawak? Is raining season there a problem?

There are many things to see in Sarawak and Sabah, mostly national parks
full of wildlife, caves, mountains, people etc:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sarawak/
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sabah/

indeed very nice pictures ... thanks!

Manfred
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_4_]

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message
t...
Alfred Molon wrote:
[..]
Assuming you mean Malaysian Borneo (the Indonesian section can't be
recommended based on what I heard)

Well, I'd be interested in going to Kalimantan, but fir a 2 weeks trip I
do not think that I'd see a lot ...

Samarinda is kind of a nice town with good food and a big river running
through it. The only other places I've been are Banjarmasin and Balikpapan
and I'd skip both.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old November 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message
t...
Alfred Molon wrote:
[..]
Assuming you mean Malaysian Borneo (the Indonesian section can't be
recommended based on what I heard)

Well, I'd be interested in going to Kalimantan, but fir a 2 weeks trip I
do not think that I'd see a lot ...

Samarinda is kind of a nice town with good food and a big river running
through it. The only other places I've been are Banjarmasin and Balikpapan
and I'd skip both.

Of course! Spending time in Borneo in towns should be about as meaningful as
seeking polar bears in Guinea, toucans in Norway and wilderness in Manhattan
away from everything man made. Borneo is a wild jungle. Mosquitoes. Wide
rivers. White waters. Head hunters. Adventures.

Old November 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
LarbGai

Default Borneo in January as recommended by Markku Gronroos.

On Nov 11, 10:49*pm, "Markku Grönroos" wrote:

Of course! Spending time in Borneo in towns should be about as meaningful as
seeking polar bears in Guinea, toucans in Norway and wilderness in Manhattan
away from everything man made. Borneo is a wild jungle. Mosquitoes. Wide
rivers. White waters. Head hunters. Adventures.-

******Oh dear, our little racist pig Markkie is on his high horse
again.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_4_]

"LarbGai" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 10:49 pm, "Markku Grönroos" wrote:

Of course! Spending time in Borneo in towns should be about as meaningful
as
seeking polar bears in Guinea, toucans in Norway and wilderness in
Manhattan
away from everything man made. Borneo is a wild jungle. Mosquitoes. Wide
rivers. White waters. Head hunters. Adventures.-

******Oh dear, our little racist pig Markkie is on his high horse

again.

He's unstoppable .... the scRunge of scAndinavia

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old November 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"grusl" kirjoitti
.. .

"LarbGai" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 10:49 pm, "Markku Grönroos" wrote:

Of course! Spending time in Borneo in towns should be about as
meaningful as
seeking polar bears in Guinea, toucans in Norway and wilderness in
Manhattan
away from everything man made. Borneo is a wild jungle. Mosquitoes. Wide
rivers. White waters. Head hunters. Adventures.-

******Oh dear, our little racist pig Markkie is on his high horse

again.

He's unstoppable .... the scRunge of scAndinavia

It is nice to see you have made friends. However, why go to Borneo to visit
towns. Europe is for that purpose.

Old November 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Markku Grönroos wrote:
[..]
Of course! Spending time in Borneo in towns should be about as meaningful as
seeking polar bears in Guinea, toucans in Norway and wilderness in Manhattan
away from everything man made. Borneo is a wild jungle. Mosquitoes. Wide
rivers. White waters. Head hunters. Adventures.

I'm still dreaming of a Kalimantan west to east trek ... years ago I met
a guy who did this ... starting from the west cost, travelling along
rivers towards the cetnral highlands (public boats), crossing the
central mountains in a 10 days trek and following the rivers towards the
sea on the east side ... I'd guess that 2 months for a trip like that
are already a short estimate ... anybody out there who has done
something like this? (well at the moment it is anyway out of question
for me to have a leave of 2 or 3 months ;-(...)

Manfred

Old November 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Manfred
Aigner says...

Means that there are resorts on the islands? We do not really like
luxury resorts, simple homestays would be preferred, but for a couple of
days it would be fine .. can you give an estimate how much a
room/bungalow for 2 would be? Any link? (sorry I did not find a link)

Yes, this would be a resort, not luxury, but not cheap either. You can
check the prices through online booking systems (web). I kind of
remember the figure of 300RM (= 60 Euro) per night.

Sound good. How about Sarawak? Is raining season there a problem?

I think it's not a problem there either, although Sabah would be better.
--

Alfred Molon