Best way to watch "DVDs" in flight on long flights?

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:33 AM
TS

Default Best way to watch "DVDs" in flight on long flights?

What are the best methods of watching DVDs in flight on a flight of 10
hours or more?

Any portable DVD video players have battery life that long?
What about copying DVDs to the local hard drive of your laptop so you
can view them without the battery drain of running the DVD drive and
also save the hassle of packing and carrying the DVD discs? Best
software for copying/viewing DVDs from a hard drive?
Another method?
I will also burn some of my own to watch TV programming.
I have a DirecTivo and a set top DVD burner as well as a DVD burner in
my PC.
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:58 AM
mag3

Quoting (TS) regarding Best way to watch "DVDs" in flight on long flights? in a message dated 8 Sep 2004
16:33:48 -0700:

What are the best methods of watching DVDs in flight on a flight of 10
hours or more?

Any portable DVD video players have battery life that long?
What about copying DVDs to the local hard drive of your laptop so you
can view them without the battery drain of running the DVD drive and
also save the hassle of packing and carrying the DVD discs? Best
software for copying/viewing DVDs from a hard drive?
Another method?

Since my Hard Drive is small (it's a older laptop), I can't copy the DVD to it.
So I just use the DVD drive as is. I just try to find aircraft that have laptop ports
so I don't have to worry about battery usage. Most of the flights I take these
days are CO flights that are 767 or 777 and have laptop ports. So I just need
to pop in the DVD and go. The biggest problem for me is finding 2 or more hours
of uninterupted time to actually watch a movie (since they're serving meals etc.
I need the tray for the service items and can't put the laptop on it). And it's also
good since I also use the DVDs at the destination as well.

I will also burn some of my own to watch TV programming.
I have a DirecTivo and a set top DVD burner as well as a DVD burner in
my PC.

I do something similar. But again I use the DVD and not copy to Hard drive.

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.
You may also be given an e-mail link to click to verify your e-mail
which you should only need to do once. - Thanks much - This SPAM is killing me!!!)

)
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
PTravel

"TS" wrote in message
om...
What are the best methods of watching DVDs in flight on a flight of 10
hours or more?

Any portable DVD video players have battery life that long?
What about copying DVDs to the local hard drive of your laptop so you
can view them without the battery drain of running the DVD drive and
also save the hassle of packing and carrying the DVD discs? Best
software for copying/viewing DVDs from a hard drive?
Another method?
I will also burn some of my own to watch TV programming.
I have a DirecTivo and a set top DVD burner as well as a DVD burner in
my PC.

I've been copying DVDs to my Sony Vaio and watching them on that. The Vaio
has a better screen than most, if not all, of the portable DVD players, and
the audio quality is excellent.. I can usually eke out 1 full movie on a
single battery charge. However, I picked up a heavy-duty battery for the
Vaio and, with that, I can easily watch 2 films (which is pretty much my
quota for in-flight entertainment). I've also got a seat power adapter, but
I've yet to fly on the right combination of airline and fare class to be
able to use it.