Greetings from Ephesus-Izmir-Turkey

Old November 29th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Sinan Tortum Sinan Tortum is offline
Member

Location: Izmir
Default Greetings from Ephesus-Izmir-Turkey

I am a new member in this group.
I hope that 2007 will be a good year for Turkey and many more visitors will come to my beloved region-Izmir, Ephesus and the Aegean area.
My region which is considered to be the cradle of civilisations, must be seen.
Though too early, I want to take the opportunity to say merry christmas to all the forum members.
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RJQMAN

Hello - my cousins, Bill, Tony and George Q. are currently in Ephesus
checking on the status of the family project to help restore and
maintain Mary's home. Interesting that you should post at this time.
My daughter hopes to go there next year, depending on the political
situation - my cousins e-mailed a few days ago from Ephesus and
indicated they felt reasonably secure - they hope to see the Pope when
he visits the area. Is it a reasonably safe area for Christians to
visit at this time? Also, how do you forsee tourism over the next
couple of years, especially with the Muslim groups who, based on what
we hear in the states, seem to believe that God wants them to kill
anyone who does not bppear to want to kill all who are not believers in
their particular version of Islam? Best wishes to you from the states.

--
Sinan Tortum

Sinan Tortum
Tour Guide Izmir-Ephesus

Old November 30th, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Have been to Ephesus,and other places in turkey,and we enjoyed it very
much,we sat on a mountain top and watched the jet fighters fly over us
to bomb kosovo,it was quite an experience.But Ephesus was the focal
oint,very touching,and moving

cruise lover

Old November 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Sinan Tortum Sinan Tortum is offline
Member

Location: Izmir

It was nice to receive your message. I am always happy to see that Turkey is on the way to become an internationalized country with an increasing number of foreigners getting settled here. I remember from my childhood that we were a closed and conservative society, having an egocentric perception of the world with Turkey beeing a center of the world.

Some facts can not be hided . In the recent past, bombings happened in Turkey: In Cesme with some wounded and in Kusadasi few tourists killed ( in a minibuss) in bombings last year. This year also two events happened : one in Marmaris and one in Antalya. I suggest that we see all these as part of an international activity: Remember the bombings in London and Madrid in the relatively recent past. So, I mean that Turkey is not less safe than many touristic detinations.
Pope-visit at The Mary's House is over and I hope that your cousins could see the Pope. As far as I understand there were high degree of security measures applied and there were limited acccess by the visitors to the House. Since the Pope-visit in the Ephesus-area concerned a very short time, after the visit there will be normal situation in the area.
My personal conception of Ephesus-Kusadasi area is that it is quite safe: There are extremely high degree of security measures taken in Kusadasi-port, Kusadasi town and Ephesus.
It is a fact that there area some segments of Muslims who have fanatic ideologies. Fortunately, Turkey, beeing a secular state, is less affected by such fanaticism. Certainly there are some small groups in Turkey influenced by these fanatic ideologies and the turkish security forces are seemingly holding them under control. Penetration by some foreign groups into Turkey for some actions is always a possibility, as they realized some bombings some years ago in Istanbul. But please remember that the chances are almost same everywhere. No place is safer than the other. I suggest that we should not have a hystery about this, since by this logics we would end up staying within the walls of our homes for ever.
Because of some reasons, 2006-tourism season in Turkey has not been well. There are possibly several reasons for this, amongst others security concerns involved for some potential visitors to Turkey who cancelled their booked tours. We have a belief ( and experience) in Turkey: After a bad season comes a good season...
Finally I can observe that there is an exeggerated hystery about the countries dominated by a muslim majority. Each country has its own special situations. I was in Aleppo -Syria after the involvement in Irak. Though there was a relatively short distance to the war-region, I felt quite safe there.
Best Regards,

Sinan Tortum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQMAN

Old November 30th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

Surfer E2468 wrote:
Have been to Ephesus,and other places in turkey,and we enjoyed it very
much,we sat on a mountain top and watched the jet fighters fly over us
to bomb kosovo,it was quite an experience.But Ephesus was the focal
oint,very touching,and moving

cruise lover

We'll be there in April ... care to share don't miss highlights ??

Old November 30th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

A must is "MARY'S House,it is a very moving experience,and we also liked
going thru the mountains,also seeing folk shows,all in all just about
everything they had to offer,just did not like most of the resturants,we
prefered to eat on board the ship.
surfer e2468

cruise lover

Old November 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Margaret Caldwell Ott

We'll be there in April ... care to share don't miss highlights ??

The ancient city site of Ephesus itself is magnificent, and lots of
fun to walk around. Definitely don't miss the theatre (you can't miss
it--THE most prominent feature of the city), and the Library
(magnificently restored by the Italian archaeologists---every foreign
team of archaeologists is required by the Turkish government to fully
restore at least one building at their site--makes it a lot more
interesting to the tourists, and creates a fabulous opportunity to
really understand ancient techniques of architecture!). The "brothel"
is also fun to look at, and you will see little "markers" for it
carved into many of the paving stones in various parts of the city!

Izmir itself is ancient Smyrna, and there are quite a few temples
scattered around town that are also hard to miss and well worth a
gander. The main ancient city site is right in downtown Izmir.

In addition to Mary's house, don't miss the basilica of St. John just
on the edge of town. Another very famous Christian site, and very
interesting.

Restaurants along the water front are picturesque and serve very good
food (or at least they used to!!). Fresh fish is superb, or try
"Tranche Kabob" (shark meat grilled on skewers--delicious). Another
Turkish specialty that is out of this world is "Donnor Kebab"--thin
slices of grilled meat served on pita bread with lemon-butter sauce
and/or tomato sauce. My personal favorite--"Kufta", mildly spiced meat
balls/ thick patties, served with french fries, fresh sliced tomatoes,
and "Borek"--flaky cheese treats! YUM!

Cheers,

Peg

P.S. I lived in Turkey 1975 through 1978, and excavated at ancient
Sardis--part of the Cornell-Harvard Archaeological Team.

Old December 1st, 2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

Margaret Caldwell Ott wrote:
We'll be there in April ... care to share don't miss highlights ??

. The "brothel"
is also fun to look at, and you will see little "markers" for it
carved into many of the paving stones in various parts of the city!

Rather typical lol ... Pompeii has the same ...

Izmir itself is ancient Smyrna, and there are quite a few temples
scattered around town that are also hard to miss and well worth a
gander. The main ancient city site is right in downtown Izmir.

We're hiring a car and driver for four for $150 euro for the day ... So
we'll have plenty of options ... Those temples sound interesting and
easy to get to ...

In addition to Mary's house, don't miss the basilica of St. John just
on the edge of town. Another very famous Christian site, and very
interesting.

As practicing Catholics ... both those sites wer already high on our
list ... and important to us ...

Restaurants along the water front are picturesque and serve very good
food (or at least they used to!!). Fresh fish is superb, or try
"Tranche Kabob" (shark meat grilled on skewers--delicious). Another
Turkish specialty that is out of this world is "Donnor Kebab"--thin
slices of grilled meat served on pita bread with lemon-butter sauce
and/or tomato sauce. My personal favorite--"Kufta", mildly spiced meat
balls/ thick patties, served with french fries, fresh sliced tomatoes,
and "Borek"--flaky cheese treats! YUM!

I'll have to remember those dishes ... the driver already has promised
us a real authentic
Turkish meal at (no doubt some goombah) a real authentic Turkish
restaurant ...

P.S. I lived in Turkey 1975 through 1978, and excavated at ancient
Sardis--part of the Cornell-Harvard Archaeological Team.

Must have been interesting ... but as a 10 year old ??? :-)

Thanks for the hints ... I appreciate them ...

Old December 1st, 2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

For what ever it is worth,if you go to turkey,a must see is the blue
mosque

cruise lover