What adapter to use in India for my british camcorder?

Old December 18th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Rob Beattie

Default What adapter to use in India for my british camcorder?

Hi,
I will be travelling to India soon and am hoping to take my camcorder
with me. I am not too sure about the electricity system over there and
would like some advice about what type of adapter I would need.
My camcorder is a sony and is a UK version.
I have seen a few adapters in some stores but there appears to be one
type for Europe, another for the US and yet another for Asia. Do all
countries in Asia have the same electrical system, i.e. Can a Japanese
unit work in china or India without the need for an adapter?
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:46 PM
DALing

not sure of India voltage or plug config, but Japan is 120v, 50hz and uses
the same plug config as USA (2 spade lugs parallel) UK uses the 3 lug 240v
plug, so it's not alike in any event. The issues will be what voltage? and
what plug? (adapter? - someone else - different thread - suggested buying
plug adapters in India)

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:01 PM
S Viemeister

DALing wrote:

not sure of India voltage or plug config, but Japan is 120v, 50hz and uses
the same plug config as USA (2 spade lugs parallel) UK uses the 3 lug 240v
plug, so it's not alike in any event. The issues will be what voltage? and
what plug? (adapter? - someone else - different thread - suggested buying
plug adapters in India)

I thought Japan was 100v?

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:13 PM
James Robinson

Rob Beattie wrote:

I am not too sure about the electricity system over there and
would like some advice about what type of adapter I would need.

The voltage are frequency is the same as the UK, but they have a
different style of plug. Here is a link to a site with a photo of the
right kind of plug. You should be able to get one in an airport shop for
a couple of quid.

http://www.kropla.com/india_electric_outlets.htm
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:33 PM
WebMonkey

Rob Beattie wrote:
Hi,
I will be travelling to India soon and am hoping to take my camcorder
with me. I am not too sure about the electricity system over there and
would like some advice about what type of adapter I would need.
My camcorder is a sony and is a UK version.
I have seen a few adapters in some stores but there appears to be one
type for Europe, another for the US and yet another for Asia. Do all
countries in Asia have the same electrical system, i.e. Can a Japanese
unit work in china or India without the need for an adapter?

The voltage is the same but the plug is different. You can buy an adaptor
easily in a local shop there cheaply.

Old December 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Dick Locke

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:46:06 GMT, "DALing"
daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote:

Japan is 120v, 50hz and uses
the same plug config as USA (2 spade lugs parallel)

100v 50Hz in the East (Tokyo and north); 100v 60HZ in the West (Osaka
and West). Not sure where the border is....

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:22 PM
DALing

might be but still not 2X (100 is close enough to 110/120 to not make a
difference for appliances - 220/240 is unworkable unless the appliance is
designed for that voltage. Note that some converters don't care to what
input range they are attached. But ANYTHING with a motor does - most even
care about the hz and unless the motor is DC converted, it runs differently)

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:29 PM
DALing

I would guess that the plug at the top is the same spacing and pins as the
standard European plug (just a guess) In "normal" 3 wire systems (and I'm
not talking about 3-phase) 1 of the connectore pins/lugs is "ground" (or
"earth") Convention says it's the one in the "middle". Those 5 pin systems
(the other pix) would appear to take either input - 2 pin or 3 pin. India
isn't shown on my set of adapters at all
wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:13:08 GMT, James Robinson
wrote:

Rob Beattie wrote:

I am not too sure about the electricity system over there and
would like some advice about what type of adapter I would need.

The voltage are frequency is the same as the UK, but they have a
different style of plug. Here is a link to a site with a photo of the
right kind of plug. You should be able to get one in an airport shop for
a couple of quid.

http://www.kropla.com/india_electric_outlets.htm

The top one (type D?) looks very much like the old British 15 amp
socket.

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:31 PM
DALing

been so long since I was there (almost 50 years) But in my memory, now that
I've been reminded, I remember dad saying something about 100v...