louvdo you think Mona is genuine?

Old August 7th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Mxsmanic

Default louvdo you think Mona is genuine?

John Bermont writes:

What would you consider a good work of art?

A lot of da Vinci's own other works easily surpass the Mona Lisa.

Old August 7th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

John Bermont writes:

What would you consider a good work of art?

A lot of da Vinci's own other works easily surpass the Mona Lisa.

There are, at most, 11 completed works, probably fewer like 5 IIRC.

jay
Fri Aug 06, 2004

Old August 7th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Luca Logi

PJW wrote:

Also, of course, the painting vanished for a while in 1911.

It was stolen by an Italian named Vincenzo Perugia and brought to
Florence. He lived in what is now Hotel Gioconda in via Panzani (he was
reported that the hotel has a good quality/price ratio).

I should add that the Italian name of the painting is "La Gioconda" (a
smiling woman), and if you want to call it "Monna Lisa" ("Monna" being a
short Florentine form for "Madonna", i.e. a lady), be sure that you use
the double "n". "Mona" with a single "n" is a Venetian insult with a
possible sexual overtone.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:

Old August 7th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Doug McDonald

John Bermont wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

It's not _that_ valuable. It's famous, but it's not a

tremendously good work of art.

What would you consider a good work of art?

The Floorburger

Doug McDonald

Old August 7th, 2004, 09:07 PM
jcoulter

Emilia wrote in news:41150807$1_2
@news.tiscalinet.ch:

It's a total fake! The real one is probably in a basement hide away some
where. Skip the Louvre and go to the D'Orsay.

uhh the Orsay or The musee d'Orsay, but not "the the Orsay" ;-)

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Mxsmanic

jcoulter writes:

uhh the Orsay or The musee d'Orsay, but not "the the Orsay" ;-)

What does "the the Orsay" mean?

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Mxsmanic

writes: