Diesel or Gas - How much do you save?

Old December 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Paul

Default Diesel or Gas - How much do you save?

We will be leasing a car for about a month this summer, during which we'll
drive around 4000 km through Germany, Croatia, Italy and France. The diesel
lease is nearly 200 euros more than the gasoline model of the same car. Is
it worth it? are we likely to save that much in full costs?

Paul

Old December 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
tim

"Paul" wrote in message
We will be leasing a car for about a month this summer, during which we'll
drive around 4000 km through Germany, Croatia, Italy and France. The
diesel lease is nearly 200 euros more than the gasoline model of the same
car. Is it worth it? are we likely to save that much in full costs?

A quick calculation using average mileges for my small cars
suggests that this is 200 litres of diesel or 300 liters of petrol.
Petrol costs about 20% more (it's only 10% in Germany) at
about 1 euro for diesel, 1.20 for petrol (usually it's cheaper
than this) this is 200 Euro against 360 Euro. So the answer
is no. If you have a bigger car then the cost will be more but
TBH the saving is still going to be marginal.

The acceleration of some Diesels can be a pig. If you have
never driven one before I wouldn't do it for the sake of
20 Euro.

4000 km is a small amount of driving for one month holiday
over that area. Are you sure that you've calculated it right?

tim

Old December 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Paul

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the distance calculation is fairly
accurate, through we're likely to do a bit of day tripping now and again.
But generally speaking, we're doing the self-catering thing for a week at a
time - and we'll only make it to the northern region of Croatia.

Thanks again. This is extremely helpful.

Paul

Old December 19th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Tom Peel

Paul wrote:
We will be leasing a car for about a month this summer, during which we'll
drive around 4000 km through Germany, Croatia, Italy and France. The diesel
lease is nearly 200 euros more than the gasoline model of the same car. Is
it worth it? are we likely to save that much in full costs?

Paul

First you need some price information. I found this site
http://www.benzinpreis.de/international.phtml has the current prices in
/litres for many countries.
regular diesel
France 1.08 0.79
Croatia 0.73 0.71
Italy 1.13 0.86
Germany 1.06 0.94

average 1.00 0.83

Then with a little arithmetic you can work out your respective costs.

Gasoline - the car should get about 10 litres per 100km , so you'll need
400 litres of fuel for the trip at a cost of 400.

The same car with a diesel engine should get about 6 litres per 100, so
you need 240 litres for the same trip at a cost of 199.

In other words - the saving on fuel is balanced out by the higher lease
rating. So it's up to you whether you want to help stop global warming
and drive a diesel, or enjoy a smoother ride and contribute to the
disappearance of Venice, the Netherlands, not to mention New Orleans, in
a few decades.

T.

Old December 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Tom Peel

tim wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

The acceleration of some Diesels can be a pig. If you have
never driven one before I wouldn't do it for the sake of
20 Euro.

I drive an Audi A6 with a 1.9l turbodiesel engine. Not only does the car
get 5.6 litres per hundred km and do 200km/h with ease, the torque is
MUCH better than any gasoline car in the same class that I've driven.
You can feel the turbo kick in like the car's never going to stop
accelerating.
T.

PS - for non-Europeans, that's over 40 MPG and 125 mph.

Old December 19th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Paul" wrote in message
We will be leasing a car for about a month this summer, during which we'll
drive around 4000 km through Germany, Croatia, Italy and France. The

diesel
lease is nearly 200 euros more than the gasoline model of the same car.

Is
it worth it? are we likely to save that much in full costs?

Paul

Last time I did this the differential between gasoline and diesel was a lot
less than that. More like $100 Australian.
Sure you have read the quote correctly?
For me diesel was definately cheaper. Admittedly we had a Clio 1.5l turbo,
and drove 19000km!

Gerrit - Oz

Old December 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM
tim

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
tim wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

The acceleration of some Diesels can be a pig. If you have
never driven one before I wouldn't do it for the sake of
20 Euro.

I drive an Audi A6 with a 1.9l turbodiesel engine. Not only does the car
get 5.6 litres per hundred km and do 200km/h with ease, the torque is MUCH
better than any gasoline car in the same class that I've driven. You can
feel the turbo kick in like the car's never going to stop accelerating.

But when you get a hire car you don't get to choose.

You get what you are given and if there are diesel cars available
which are dogs (and IME there are) there is a chance that you
will get one.

why take that chance for such little reward.

tim