Week in March: trip near great camping & great city?

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

Default Week in March: trip near great camping & great city?

[Point Lobos] web site lists camping facitilies in the area

Just to clarify, some of the camping sites on their list are some
distance from the park.

Jim

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote in message
Hi. We are interested in spending a week in late March in the US or
Canada for a vacation. We'd like a spectacularly beautiful natural
environment where we could live in cabins or camp for a couple of
days.

We'd also like that natural environment to be reasonably close to a
city with great nightlife and restaurants, where we could spend
another few days.

Any ideas on what might be a fun and unforgettable way to spend a week
or so with these rough parameters? Thanks!

I wonder how badly the Gulf Coast campsites were damaged by the recent
hurricanes? A friend went to Ship Island, off the coast of MS or AL a few
years' back and really liked it.

How about the DelMarVa peninsula? That would be the land on the east side of
teh Chesapeake Bay (DelMarVa = Delaware/MarylandVirginia). Close to
DC/Baltimore. Not the absolute greatest nightlife, perhaps, but not bad
places to visit. Chesapeake Bay crab is worth eating. The Virginia State
Park system has a park there where you can rent a yurt, I believe. I've
always wanted to try that. March won't be good swimming weather but, unless
you're very unlucky, the weather won't be too cold.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

"Akilesh Ayyar" wrote in message
.. .
Hi. We are interested in spending a week in late March in the US or
Canada for a vacation. We'd like a spectacularly beautiful natural
environment where we could live in cabins or camp for a couple of
days.

We'd also like that natural environment to be reasonably close to a
city with great nightlife and restaurants, where we could spend
another few days.

Any ideas on what might be a fun and unforgettable way to spend a week
or so with these rough parameters? Thanks!

Death Valley NP is amazing to spectacular in the spring and the
temperature is tolerable in March.

Rumor has it that there is nightlife and a few qood restaurants
in Las Vegas...

Claude
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:13:10 -0600, "dh" wrote:

How about the DelMarVa peninsula? That would be the land on the east side of
teh Chesapeake Bay (DelMarVa = Delaware/MarylandVirginia). Close to
DC/Baltimore. Not the absolute greatest nightlife, perhaps, but not bad
places to visit. Chesapeake Bay crab is worth eating. The Virginia State
Park system has a park there where you can rent a yurt, I believe. I've
always wanted to try that. March won't be good swimming weather but, unless
you're very unlucky, the weather won't be too cold.

I've camped in that area, and enjoyed it quite a lot, but I'm not sure
I'd recommend it in March. It could be very nice, or it could be
socked in for a week with heavy rain and gale-force winds.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

I vote too for San Francisco as your city, and camp south along the Big
Sur/Pt. Lobos Coast .
Pt. Lobos is among the most beautiful. Pfeiffer State Park too is a
great place to camp. Or closer to the city you have Muir Woods and Mt.
Tam for hiking, further on north to Pt.Reyes National Seashore with
camping as well. All would not dissappoint.

www.parks.ca.gov is the California State Parks site

Old February 24th, 2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:13:10 -0600, "dh" wrote:

How about the DelMarVa peninsula? That would be the land on the east side

of
teh Chesapeake Bay (DelMarVa = Delaware/MarylandVirginia). Close to
DC/Baltimore. Not the absolute greatest nightlife, perhaps, but not bad
places to visit. Chesapeake Bay crab is worth eating. The Virginia

State
Park system has a park there where you can rent a yurt, I believe. I've
always wanted to try that. March won't be good swimming weather but,

unless
you're very unlucky, the weather won't be too cold.

I've camped in that area, and enjoyed it quite a lot, but I'm not sure
I'd recommend it in March. It could be very nice, or it could be
socked in for a week with heavy rain and gale-force winds.
Barbara Vaughan

I used to live in Northern New England and now live on the Northern Plains.
You're making DelMarVa sound VERY attractive. :-)

OK, seriously, I suppose you're right that one could encounter pretty bad
weather but I've traveled to that area a few times in March - always after
the 15th - and was always lucky as to weather.