Is Jakarta safe?

Old October 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default Is Jakarta safe?

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
legroups.com...
On Oct 28, 3:18 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
There used to be turbulences years ago. Has the situation stabilised and
it is safe to walk around, even at night?

It's as safe as any other big city. The risk of terrorism is slightly
higher there than in places like Bangkok or Singapore, but it's still
a very remote possibility. I've spent time in Jakarta several dozens
times in the past few years. Never felt in any particular danger.

On the other hand, you "feelings" and the true risks are two and different
entities.

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"grusl" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 28, 7:07 am, "RAK" wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote in message

In article , grusl says...

cut
You're right up to a point. Alfred doesn't strike me as a karaoke/
nightclub kinda guy, but who knows. My point was that Jakarta doesn't
have teeming streets of revellers at 4am like Hong Kong. Even Blok M
seems to wrap up between 1am and 2am, even at the weekend. Jl Jaksa
earlier still. Not that they are the key nightspot areas. Mind you, as
I get older, that's usually late as I can manage. I'm sure there are
all-night places - does the dreaded Tanamur still exist? - but I don't
know them.

I am not a karaoke/nightclub type either which is why those places are not
on my list.
Stadium is probably the major example of a 24hr dive, I think it is open
from about Thursday until Monday morning.
The people there all seem to be taking some sort of medicine, small tablets,
which seem to keep them awake but not drinking alcohol. Very healthy.

Some of the other places around there are open pretty late I think. Also
Ancol may be open quite late, especially the massive Hai Lai nightclub which
can accomodate thousands of people (up to 5,000?) but I don't think many
foreigners go there.
As you say, there are no streets of revellers in Jakarta. It simply isn't a
pedestrian town which is why many visitors don't think there is much going
on. Bar crawls usually involve taxis etc. There are plenty of people out
late but except for the car racing crowd (operating in Senayan after about
1a.m. last time I saw them) they are not as visible as in other cities.

I think the Tanamur is still going but a shadow of its former glorious
seediness. I think it closed around 2am even at its peak but JJs next door
used to stay open much later. Also the infamous Tambora, near the Falatahan
strip in Blok M used to stay open until dawn and beyond in the 90s but it
was later closed down. There was, and may still be, a really late place
nearby on Jl Melawai which took over Tambora's late night role but I forget
its name.

Some pub-style places stay open really late if there are enough customers.