Hong Kong Locality

Old October 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

Default Hong Kong Locality

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:39:45 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:17:38 -0000, PeterL
wrote:

Check with the HK Tourist Association (or whatever name they call
themselves now). They have an office in the ferry building on the
Kowloon side. There you'll get all the tourist information you ever
want or need.

Will check to see if they have a web-site.

Couple of things to do: ride the Star Ferry. Take the Peak Tram up
to the Peak, have a drink at the historic Peak Cafe.

Have an afternoon tea at the Pennisula Hotel.

Is that special, like Raffles in Singapore?

Jeez, it's my double-post day. HKTB (formerly HKTA) is at
http://www.hktb.com nowadays. The Peninsula is excellent, ideal after a
hectic walk down Nathan Road from Mong Kok. If you do stay at the Evergreen,
don't forget to visit Temple Street in Yau Ma Tei after sunset. Have an
oyster pancake, listen to the Cantonese opera (copulating cats on a tin
roof) as well as visit the usual DVD stalls etc. Hong Kong is my second
home, or possibly my first.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Thanks. I'll be asking you some questions about the Golden
Triangle (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) shortly:-)

I note that everyone is indicating Kowloon and not Central
or Causeway Bay. Is there a reason for that?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:47:02 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Alan S says...

Which locality would you recommend for the hotel? My
interests are simply those of a tourist who has never been
there. I'm a 60yo male not interested in shopping or
business, just the things that make Hong Kong different to
the rest of the world. People, sights, markets, history. I
won't be renting a car so I'll be walking or public
transport.

The skyline of Hong Kong is breathtaking at sunset and at night. It's
worth alone the trip to Hong Kong:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/HongKong/Night/

In the Hong Kong park and the area around it sometimes (the Anglican
cathedral) sometimes you find wedding couples doing a photo shoot.

The business district is quite cool with all those skyscrapers (we don't
have any here in Munich, since it is forbidden to build them).

There are some Chinese temples, but are not so impressive.

You might want to visit that giant Buddha statue, but it will take you
half a day to go and come back.

As already mentioned by another poster, take a train to the top of
Victoria peak at night for some breathtaking views of Hong Kong.

Thanks Alfred.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:46:07 +1000, "Viviane"
wrote:

We had our first visit to HK in July and loved it. We stayed in Wan Chai and
it was a great spot - fantastic views over the harbour, close to the train
and ferry. It was great to be in a city with a public transport system that
is reliable and cheap - such a contrast to Sydney, where we live!

The trams are a fun way to see HK and another unique thing to see is the mid
level escalators. It was a great way to see the "real" HK. A ferry trip
across the harbour is a must.

Try eating in some of the smaller restaurants. They will speak little (if
any!) English, but you will be able to get a good feed for very little
money.

Thanks. The others tend to be suggesting the other side of
the water. Before I posted my question I was leaning towards
the Island. What was your reason for choosing Wan Chai?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"Alan S" wrote in message
I note that everyone is indicating Kowloon and not Central
or Causeway Bay. Is there a reason for that?

Hotels are expensive in both localities. Central is the business centre and
also home to the Lan Kwai Fong and SoHo bar districts, where expatriates -
and many locals - congregate and eat and drink to excess at overpriced
"western" theme restaurants run by a Dutch-Nepali cartel. Causeway Bay is
very, very busy. However, it too has more traditional areas though they are
also disappearing.

I have no problem with either place but a lot of people think it's not the
"real" Hong Kong. I disagree but I'm in a minority. You should see the
Graham Street and Peel Street areas in Central for the traditional
greenmarkets ... they're disappearing under a new policy to move all food
sales indoors (and develop the properties, of course). Walk the length of
Hollywood Road/Wyndham Street for a study in contrasts.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

wrote:

We had our first visit to HK in July and loved it. We stayed in Wan Chai and
it was a great spot - fantastic views over the harbour, close to the train
and ferry. It was great to be in a city with a public transport system that
is reliable and cheap - such a contrast to Sydney, where we live!

The trams are a fun way to see HK and another unique thing to see is the mid
level escalators. It was a great way to see the "real" HK. A ferry trip
across the harbour is a must.

Try eating in some of the smaller restaurants. They will speak little (if
any!) English, but you will be able to get a good feed for very little
money.

Thanks. The others tend to be suggesting the other side of
the water. Before I posted my question I was leaning towards
the Island. What was your reason for choosing Wan Chai?

I also normally stay in Wanchai when I visit Hong Kong. I used to live
and work in that area several years ago, so maybe it feels like home
to me.

I usually stay at the Wharney Guangdong Hotel, which is available from
www.octopustravel.com for HK$660 a night. That's a very reasonable
price for a centrally located 4-star hotel.

I suggest you don't worry too much whether you're on the Hong Kong or
Kowloon side of the harbour. There are so many choices of
transportation to cross the harbour quickly and easily that it isn't
really much of a divide at all.

Chris
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Viviane

The main reason was the selection of the hotel. We wanted a hotel close to
the harbour and with a harbour view (you don't necessarily get both
together!) that didn't cost an arm and a leg. We also wanted to be close to
transport. After we had booked and paid, I realised that the main shopping
was on the Kowloon side. It turned out to be no big deal as the transport
was so good and cheap. The added bonus was the views from the ferry going
across the harbour. It's fantastic by day and night.

Old October 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:22:59 +1000, "Viviane"
wrote:

The main reason was the selection of the hotel. We wanted a hotel close to
the harbour and with a harbour view (you don't necessarily get both
together!) that didn't cost an arm and a leg. We also wanted to be close to
transport. After we had booked and paid, I realised that the main shopping
was on the Kowloon side. It turned out to be no big deal as the transport
was so good and cheap. The added bonus was the views from the ferry going
across the harbour. It's fantastic by day and night.

Thanks. Which hotel did you stay at?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
yvonneu

On 10 13 , 8 13 , Alan S wrote:
Hi All

I'll be in Hong Kong for just two days next March, while
en-route from Bangkok to Delhi.

Which locality would you recommend for the hotel? My
interests are simply those of a tourist who has never been
there. I'm a 60yo male not interested in shopping or
business, just the things that make Hong Kong different to
the rest of the world. People, sights, markets, history. I
won't be renting a car so I'll be walking or public
transport.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Sloveniahttp://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest

Subway is very easy in Hongkong..

And you should go to The Peak at night ,it's really very beautiful

Stanley's structure is specially..

And i love Ocean Park most. It's really very exciting...

Old October 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:46:33 -0700, yvonneu
wrote:

On 10 13 , 8 13 , Alan S wrote:
[...]

Thak you.

Cheers, Alan, Australia