Strategy To See India

Old May 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
BeeRich

Default Strategy To See India

Hiya folks.

Just wanted to get people's opinion about how to "see India". I have
some time free and would love to see the country, and I have a couple
of ideas, some concerns, and I don't want to miss out, as I know it's
a highly dense country with many things to see. Here are some
thoughts:

- I'd probably travel by train everywhere (30 day rail pass)
- I want to see Goa, Mumbai, Kerala, Calcutta, Delhi
- Food is a significant part of this trip
- I suspect I'll get sick for a week (not by desire, but through
normal travelling luck)
- One possible strategy is to start in Mumbai, head down to Kerala, up
the East Coast to Calcutta, then back to Mumbai through Delhi to fly
out

I'd like to hear what people think about this. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

BeeRich wrote:

[...]

Train is an excellent way to see India. Long distance car journeys
can be trying as large towns and cities are often not bypassed and can
be dreadful to get through.

My recommendation is to arrange a car with a driver who speaks English
at each of your chosen destinations (But not in Goa where most of the
taxi drivers speak some English and hiring a car can be expensive)

Don't take a single car as drivers, however good, tend to only know
their own area and decent up-to-date maps are often difficult to
acquire.

As for stomach upsets, pack Imodium and get some local stuff called
'Brake'.

--
William Black

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
BeeRich

On May 17, 10:50*am, Alfred Molon wrote:

IMHO 30 days is not sufficient to see all of India. I would focus on one
region or two and travel between the regions by plane.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I only have 30 days, and I would rather travel by rail as that's
pretty much what I want to do. Bouncing around in a plane defeats the
purpose. You see nothing and you spend your time in airports. This
is also a mental trip as well, so that method of travel would
definitely be nice for me.

I won't be visiting temples and the sort, as I am not interested. I
am interested in the cities and environment. Karela is showing lots
of potential.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

BeeRich wrote:

You see nothing and you spend your time in airports.

Spending time in India airports is a dreadful way to spend time.

I won't be visiting temples and the sort, as I am not interested. I
am interested in the cities and environment. Karela is showing lots
of potential.

Indian cities are pretty hard work, although deeply entertaining.

When you're in Bombay try not to get stuck in the tourist ghetto of
Colaba.

Are you interested in 'environment' as in 'nature' or 'environment' as
in 'polluted'?

--
William Black

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
BeeRich

On May 18, 4:39*am, William Black wrote:

Are you interested in 'environment' as in 'nature' or 'environment' as
in 'polluted'?

Hi William. Environment as in "India". Whatever it delivers. I've
never had interest in museums and religious histories and all that.
Yes it's a big part of India, so I doubt I won't get my fair share.
But I'm more interested in cities and getting mobile. I'd like to get
onto the back of a truck for a bit, if I can. LIfe rides on by like
that. Love that stuff.

Cheers
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

wrote:

Are you interested in 'environment' as in 'nature' or 'environment'

as
in 'polluted'?

Hi William. Environment as in "India". Whatever it delivers. I've
never had interest in museums and religious histories and all that.
Yes it's a big part of India, so I doubt I won't get my fair share.
But I'm more interested in cities and getting mobile. I'd like to

get
onto the back of a truck for a bit, if I can. LIfe rides on by like
that. Love that stuff.

Well I'm sure you'll find Indian public transport entertaining,
especially the buses.

Be aware that outside the tourist traps India is not 'tourist
friendly'. The people are friendly, but you'll be seen as a wallet on
legs by many of them...

--
William Black

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_4_]

"William Black" wrote in message

Be aware that outside the tourist traps India is not 'tourist
friendly'. The people are friendly, but you'll be seen as a wallet on
legs by many of them...

Or they'll find you utterly baffling.

Cheers,
George W Russell